Simply Fierce Fashion

Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Golden Age of Couture Exhibit


So this exhibit travels throughout the world and is making its stop in the US and the only place its being shown is here in Nashville at The Frist Center. Imagine my excitement when I read in my Harpers Bazaar that it had touched down here! We were not allowed to take pictures in there so I don't have a lot of visuals to share but I did sneak one picture of this FAB Christian Dior dress that I just had to get a snap of!
This collection focused on the era following the World War from 1947-1957 and specifically targeted famed designers Christian Dior,Givenchy,Balenciaga,Fath,and many many more. They had all types of beautiful cocktail dresses in the tea lengths with very full skirts,lots of lace,feathers,polka dots and heavy beading and very intricate detailing that looked like it too months to make seriously! I thought it was interesting how they intentional exaggerated their hips with little cushions to make the skirts stand out farther...not so much today. It was soo overwhelming to see all of these different pieces(227 to be exact) all in one room including shoes,hats,scarves,garters,bras you name it,and actual sketches dated in the 50's by Dior designers themselves!
Seeing all these beautifully designed pieces made me wish that I was around during that time because they dressed so dang FAB on a daily basis like it was nothing. Fierceness came second nature and was expected day in and day out. I loved it and will probably go see it again before it leaves in September. I suggest that yall check it out too,its REALLY something to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment